Monday, August 23, 2010

Long Time

Hey blollowers. I don't know if anyone is still reading this but I owe you all an apology. I haven't written in like a month. Have I been busy? Kinda. Excusably busy? Not even close. But i did have a couple guilty pleasure marathons on netflix just like that Vitamin water commercial told me to do. I finished the rest of season 4 of Heroes. It was such bad TV i almost didn't survive. What were the writers thinking? I seriously didn't know that such untalented people were still allowed not only to be alive, but to work in Hollywood. If this was China, they all would have been aborted to maintain a pure bloodline. Maybe those squinty eyes know a little bit more than we give them credit for. I also watch Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It was completely ridiculous and kinda entertaining. It started out terribly but got pretty decent toward the end. Then I watched Better Off Ted, the latest cancelled great (well, maybe just good) comedy. It was goofy but had some pretty witty lines and scenarios. Following that I finished the first season of V which is turning out to be pretty intriguing. Plus Elisabeth Mitchell is amazing. So yes, that is the smut I've been wasting my time on since I wrote last time. Like I said, no excuse. So to make it up to you I have decided to address one of Hollywoods Greatest Mysteries: The EGOT. If you know what that is, I have trained you well. If you do not, GO WATCH 30 RIGHT NOW!!!!!! That's not a request. It's a requirement for all devoted Blollowers. Anyway I thought this would be a pretty interesting segue back into my world of blogging.

1. Richard Rodgers (composer): Oscar ('It Might as Well be Spring' from 'State Fair,' 1945); Tony ('South Pacific,' 1950); Grammy ('The Sound of Music,' 1960); Emmy ('Winston Churchill: The Valiant Years,' 1962)

2. Helen Hayes (actress): Oscar ('The Sin of Madelon Claudet,' 1932); Tony ('Addie,' 1947); Emmy (Best Actress for roles including Harriet Beecher Stowe on 'Medallion Theatre,' 1953); Grammy (Best Spoken Word Recording for 'Great American Documents,' 1976).

3. Rita Moreno (actress): Oscar ('West Side Story,' 1961); Grammy (Best Recording for Children, 'The Electric Company,' 1972); Tony ('The Ritz,' 1975); Emmy ('The Muppet Show,' 1977)

4. John Gielgud (actor, director): Tony ('Big Fish, Little Fish,' 1961) ; Grammy ( Best Spoken Word for 'Ages of Man,' 1979); Oscar ('Arthur,' 1981); Emmy ('Summer's Lease,' 1991)

5. Audrey Hepburn (actress): Oscar ('Roman Holiday,' 1953); Tony ('Ondine,' 1954); Emmy ('Gardens of the World with Audrey Hepburn,' 1993); Grammy (Best Spoken Word Children's Album, 'Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales,' 1994)

6. Marvin Hamlisch (composer): Oscar ('The Way We Were' and 'The Sting,' 1973); Grammy ('The Way We Were,' 1974); Tony (1976); Emmy ('Barbra Streisand: The Concert,' 1995).

7. Jonathan Tunick (composer): Oscar ('A Little Night Music,' 1977); Emmy ('Night of 100 Stars,' 1982); Grammy (Best Musical Arrangement, 'No One is Alone,' 1988); Tony (Outstanding Orchestration for 'Passion' 1994)

8. Mel Brooks (writer, director): Oscar (Best Screenplay, 'Bialystock and Bloom,' 1968); Emmy ('Mad About You,' 1997); Grammy ( Best Spoken Comedy Album, 'The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000,' 1998); Tony ('The Producers,' 2001)

9. Mike Nichols (comedian, director, producer): Grammy ('An Evening With Mike Nichols and Elaine May,' 1961); Tony ('Barefoot in the Park,' 1964); Oscar (Best Director, 'The Graduate,' 1967); Emmy (Director, 'Wit,' 2001)

10. Whoopi Goldberg (comedian, actress, host): Grammy (Best Comedy Recording, 'Whoopi: Original Broadway Recording,' 1985); Oscar ('Ghost,' 1990); Emmy ('Beyond Tara: The Extraordinary Live of Hattie McDaniel,' 2002); Tony (Producer, 'Thoroughly Modern Millie,' 2002)


Ten people in history have snagged the coveted EGOT. (Or EGOTed if you want to use it in verb form.) Strangely enough Barbara Streisand and Liza Minnelli are also on this  list, but I'm not including them because their Tony's are honorary, not competitive awards. And in the words of the great quote I'm making up right now, "Those who don't compete... just die or something."

Now, I can tell you that it won't be long before I write again. I'm trying to discipline myself in all the important areas of life; homework, money, food, and blogging. Right now I am at a Paradise Bakery, blogging because I have no homework, and eating a salad. It did cost me ten dollars, but hey! three out of four ain't bad right?

Sorry again and Soupy Twist!



2 comments:

  1. Finally! Rad is back, and blogger than ever!
    Also, I didn't even know that getting EGOT was even possible. Highly informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay I just saw that you posted again! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Followers