Thursday, December 30, 2010

Best TV Shows of 2010 5-6

I've decided that for every remaining day of 2010 I will count down two of the six best TV shows I watched in 2010. I watch a lot of TV. A LOT. Thats why my room mate calls me Abed sometimes. And there's a very good chance there's several shows I'm not even remembering at this point that could potentially habitate this list. But these are the stand outs. Is habitate a word? I'm kinda tired and it's kinda late. There's a little red dotty line underneath it, but it sounds right on my brain. Oh well. I'm sure that one of you will tell me what word I meant there. Onto the count down.

6. Lost



If this ranking was bases on the series finale alone it would probably land at number one. However, before the finale there were 16 episodes of highs and lows. All in all it was quite a satisfying season, but loses points for all the meandering story-lines that had characters bouncing back and for between sides and good and evil to keep the plot moving. Also lost points for amount of questions unaddressed. I know that the answers weren't the most important thing to the show runners in the final season. They were more concerned about the character resolutions as they should be. And if given the choice between a final season created to make fans happy with what they think they want and a final season of the creators of the show giving us the end game they always envisioned, I'd take the latter every time, and I respect the creators for having the balls to pull it off in a world where audience expect everything catered to their desires and intelligence levels. I do think, however, that they could have stopped the coy, "I'll give you an answer and two more questions," game midway through the season and just started telling us what the hell was going on. Anyway, gripe aside, it was a phenomenal ending to a phenomenal show, and still, I think, the most satisfying ending possible.

5. The Walking Dead



When I first heard they were making a zombie show, I'm sure I moaned a little (zombie pun INTENDED). I hate fads and sadly zombies are a fad right now. Then, I found out it was going to be on AMC, and that it would be produced by Frank Darabont of Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile fame. Darabont also make The Mist which, I believe, is one of the best horror films of last decade. So I was intrigued. When the show debuted in October, I was from intrigued to amazed. The pilot was one of the best episodes of TV I have ever seen. It was smart and bold and beautiful and moving. AND IT WAS A BLOODY ZOMBIE SHOW!!! (Pun intended). The rest of the season failed to quite live up to the brilliance of that first episode but I honestly don't think anything could.  It wasn't really a zombie show. It was a human show. It presented zombies in a way that was smart and as realistic as possible considering they're the walking dead and stuff. The show is grounded with a terrific leading performance from Andrew Lincoln who sadly, up to this point, was unknown to me. He's incredible here as is all of the supporting cast. Points off for too short of a season and too long of a wait until it comes back on. Overall though this show has overwhelming potential, and I can't wait to see what it does with it.

Well that's it for today. Check back tomorrow for #4 and #3 on the countdown. If you can guess one or both of them I will give you a chocolate... or a free movie pass. And please share your thoughts on this. I know I'm going to get some grief for putting Lost so low, but I think I defended my reasoning well and there is a lot of good TV on right now. Until tomorrow...

Soupy Twist.

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea because we actually get to see you PRAISE something! :P Haha! Anyway, I would have to actually SEE this tv series of Walking Dead to actually believe the gushy praise you have outlined here. I just can't believe it. Zombies are dumb. They are always dumb. I constantly cringe at those books of Jane Austen and Zombies or Sea Monsters or whatever. Travesty!!!!!

    No offense to people who love zombies. Hehe!

    ReplyDelete

Followers