Monday, May 23, 2011

Best Films of 2010: #2-1

I had totally planned on giving these a week after my last post, but then no one really guessed right so I wanted to give people a chance to get it right, but no one did and then I lost momentum and got busy and here we are. I feel like you all have had enough ado over the past four months, so without further of it heeeeeere they are...!

#2. Toy Story 3



Yes, I know I was being deceptive when I listed it as the Best Animated film of the year on this list, but just because it's animated doesn't mean it's not a terrific film. In this case it is the capstone on an almost perfect trilogy. At least the closest thing to a perfect trilogy we are going to get in modern film. This was Pixar at it's best. I would be so bold as to say that Ratatouille, Wall*E, Up, and Toy Story 3 are the absolute best four sequential movies any film studio has ever put out. Each one unique and brilliant in its own way. You look at any other animation studio active today, what are their films about? Birds with OCD, cartoonish villains who grow a heart, crappy spin offs of popular characters from other crappy series, and two dimensional love (and that has nothing to do with whether you need 3D glasses or not). What is Toy Story 3 about? It's a meditation on growing up. The loss of childhood. That's deep stuff. This is the difference between Pixar films and other animated movies. Pixar creates films. And I say that with all the pretension and snobbishness you all mock me rightfully for. But its also true. And thus it deserves this revered place on the list.

#1. Blue Valentine



No one who knows me that well is surprised at this. It's so dark, so realistic, so depressingly emo that it had to find its way to my Number One. Well I like all of those things for a reason. They make for some terrific films. This one is so unflinching, so gritty, so beautiful in its dark way. It's more than a film, its a picture of these people's lives. It has some of the best performances of the year and the way it's shot is not only unique, but it adds to the story. This movie moved me in a way that most don't. That's why it tops this list. This is the kind of thing that I respond to as a movie-goer. Maybe that makes me weird. But in any case this is top tier film making.

Best Actress: Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine



I went back and forth between her and Natalie Portman for a really long time. At one point I was going to tie them and list both of their attributes. But after really thinking about it, it has to be Michelle. Natalie won her Oscar. She has been rewarded. Her performance was pretty incredible no doubt. But Michelle was perfect. The way that her performance evolves over the four years that elapse. She's the same person, but you can see the years on her face. That's not the type of acting that can be taught in a class. That pure, lived in, talent. Williams is one of our most promising young actresses. Here's to hoping her career is long and varied.

And that's it. Time to start writing next years! Maybe I'll get it done in time if i start now... except I haven't really seen any good movies... hmm...

It's a good night from me...

2 comments:

  1. This post is so tardy it's REtardy!

    It's belated without me being elated!

    It's so late that this post already had the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I didn't see that guessing part in your last post. Haha. I wouldn't have guessed these anyway because A. I do not watch a lot of films and B. Yes, that is throwing people off putting Toy Story 3 before hand. :-P Though I do see your point. It was a REALLY good film. I agree about Pixar films in general. They are the best of the best. Yet I do like other animated films...a very, very few. The latest one I saw was Tangled. Now you probably are referring to this one with your "two-dimensional love" comment, and I already know your opinion on Tangled. I won't go into it, unless you want to hash it out, but I REALLY REALLY loved Tangled. A lot.

    Anyway, until your next post...

    ReplyDelete

Followers