Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Lost recap: "Across the Sea"


Ok I know I'm about a week late . I've been busy and I just didn't like the episode enough to write about it. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said by many a peeved blogger so I'll just hit the high (and low) points.

When I heard there was going to be a Jacob/Man In Black flashback episode I was so excited I leaked a little. Answers galore! Watching it, however was slightly underwhelming. The Executive Producers, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse have said since the beginning of the season that their priority was the story and doing justice to their characters, and not going out of their way to answer questions. It's taking nearly a whole week of yoga and binge eating to accept that, and now that I finally have I can say that I really do respect it. They could have spent this season trying to please fans, running around and answering random questions like they were putting out wildfires. This, however, would have compromised the story. It wouldn't be as strong. Also, I always penalize movies, TV shows and books for letting their fan's opinions dictate how they tell their story. Lets face it, fans are stupid. Especially fans of nerdy things like Lord of the Rings, Star (both Wars and Trek), comic books, and, yes, Lost. Anyone that will go outside dress like a Kingon, Jedi or Elf on any day besides The Devil's Christmas (Halloween) should probably not be making important decisions. Anytime creators listen to fans the result is a travesty. Big example: Fans tell George Lucas, "We want more Star Wars!" What do they get for their desire? Three movies (I won't even call them films) that subjected us to Hayden Christensen's acting, Jar Jar Binks' voice, and lines like, "I saw him on the security hologram... killing younglings." The dude had 30 f***ing years to write these movies and that's what he came up with?

So as frustrated as I am that I'm not getting all the answers I wanted out of this season, or finding out everything I wanted to find out, I am glad that the producers are doing what they think is best for their story and not listening to what we think that we want to be told. Anyway onto the episode.


I'm going to take this moment to apologize for getting two things wrong in my last recap:

1. I told you the title was Beyond the Sea and likened it to the famous Bobby Darin song. Seems there's no connection. Across the Sea comes from a line Mother (Allison Janney) speaks to BIB (Boy in Black) during the early scenes of this episode. "There is nothing across the sea," she tells him to spurn his desire to leave the island.

2. The skeletons. How was I supposed to know they were the bodies of one character I didn't know existed and one who I thought was still alive. Mother and the human body of MIB really were kind of the Adam and Eve of the Island. One thing I really did love about this ep was flashing back to the Jack, Kate and Locke finding them intercut with Jacob putting them in that position hundreds (thousands?) of years earlier. During that scene in the first season Jack did tell Kate they looked about fifty years old. Oh well. I guess the producers couldn't plan everything perfectly from the beginning could they?

What we know:

  • Jacob and MIB were brothers. 
  • There are strange electro magnetic sites on the Island that can transport one off of it (though we kind of already knew that. How did MIB know that before he did it? ... He's special?). 
  • Jacob and MIB's mother was a crazy B. 
  • What Jacob has been trying to protect all these years is a light in the center of the Island. If it goes out, the light in every human being goes out with it or some new agey junk like that. 

What we don't know:

  • What any of that means.
  • Basically anything else.
This ep was about as coy with answers as every other episode of Lost has been. Oh well. I'm a fan of the show over all and I'm a fan of the epic scope this season is taking. If I don't get everything I want, well I guess that's just good practice for marriage. Until next time,

Soupy Twist. 

1 comment:

  1. So basically you don't like the episode because it didn't answer many questions? Or what? Because you end it on a note that you don't always get what you want? Haha! I for one LOVED it! I didn't realize how much LESS they were going to give as in way of answers, but I think you can infer answers, though. You just have to use your little gray cells to come to conclusions. For example, I am pretty sure the Crazy Mom was a smoke monster. A. Because of the passion in which she spoke to Jacob about "the light" as if she had personal experience with it B. The whole camp of people MIB was with were slaughtered. Only the monster can do that. C. MIB stabbed his Crazy Mom with a knife before she said anything. Three very strong facts. Do you agree? So, I think if we rewatch the entire show we could infer answers and not to mention I bet the writers will still be talking about Lost even after it is over. Perhaps.

    Across the Sea was an amazing episode, very Greek mythology-ish. I can't believe Sunday is the last day! UGH! Nooooo!

    I too love the fact that the Lost writers didn't listen to the fans. Fans don't know anything. However, I will have to correct you on the fact that it wasn't because of the fans George Lucas made the prequels. He *always* wanted to make them. Ever since I was little I knew George Lucas originally planned to make his Star Wars saga in 9 parts. Maybe the fans were influential in bringing it about at that time, but Star Wars was always a part of George Lucas's artistic vision. And just to let you know, it was Lucas's Jar Jar Binks that gave us Gollum in Lord of the Rings and our extreme technological advancements in the CGI industry. I would say because of Jar Jar we have Avatar. So. There. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Followers