Friday, May 14, 2010

MTV Movie Awards

Well as hopefully none of you are dumb or emo enough to know, the MTV movie awards came out the other day and wow what a crap load of gold we have here. I think these are invented because the general public is always unhappy with the Oscars and wanted to be able to pick who they think deserve such things as best film, best actor etc. Of course the general public is too ignorant to know that they have no idea what acting is. Hell, they have no idea what good is apparently. Now, I don't agree with the Oscars 100% but no one does. They do however strive to reward great films and worthy actors. Every time I look at the MTV Movie Award nominations I feel like I'm looking at a bad SNL joke about stupid movie nominations. It's such a bad joke, it's not even funny. The Twilight Saga: New Moon is nominated for five out of twelve categories. That mean the majority of the youth of this country think that The Twilight Saga: New Moon is The Best the film making industry has to offer us. This, by their nominations, make it one of the three best films of last year along with Avatar and The Hangover. Pardon me while I join America and cry a tear for my generation.

Seriously I know that American youth are, on average, the absolute stupidest people in the world. But in the worlds of Maeby Funke speaking for the film making industry, "Why are we even going after this idiot demographic?" Why do studio executives cater to these people. 3 Reasons:

1. It's easy. As seen by The Twilight Saga: New Moon, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, The Twilight Saga: Twilight, The Last Song and every other movie aimed at teens in the last ten years, it takes little to no talent to make one of these films. They don't have to hire fancy directors, they just go with whoever's cheapest. I'm pretty sure the director of The Last Song did commercials or something pathetic before she took on her Miley Cyrus rom dram. It shows.

2. It makes bundles of money. Teen will pay for anything they think is cool. Or more they act like a prissy little brat until their parents buy them anything they think is cool. (Shame on you parents). Of course what teens think is cool is 99.9% of the time very pathetic and stupid. This is why movies that are pathetic and stupid usually do very well in the box office- idiotic teens.

3. Studio execs are actually that stupid too. As much as I want to believe this one, I don't think thats it. They don't think these are good films. They can't. Its impossible for someone with a higher education to watch these movies and actually think they're watching talented people right? I surely hope so. Most likely they're a slave to money and unfortunately, this is where the money is.

Anyway this is why the Oscars are not left to the people's choice. They may not be perfect but if you put them side to side with these 'awards' even their harshest critic would have to agree they're on the right track. I mean this is pretty bad. This is so bad that i think a lot of them are just repeats from the Razzie awards. Good news for the Razzies though, because if films just keep getting worse (they will) and people just keep getting stupider (there's literally no stopping them) the Razzies will be the most popular award show ever. They're nominating all the movies people love, and people will be too stupid to realize they're making fun of them.

I think nothing sets the bar of our intelligence as a nation as much this category right here:

Best WTF Moment.

Seriously? Best WTF Moment? WTF (Why the f***) is that even a category?! Were there scores of bad actors unable to get recognized for anything but their lack of talent going, "Why isn't there a category for us when we do weird things like talk about drinking our own urine?" Ugh! This generation is going to be the end of me.

Soupy Twist

4 comments:

  1. Haha! This was sooo true. "Why isn't there a category for us when we do weird things like talk about drinking our own urine?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking at the winners from last year. Twilight actually won over 'The Dark Knight' and 'Slumdog Millionaire'. And the WTF moments aren't even that weird! You're are, again, very much correct with these observations. Sad world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! So true! So true! I didn't even want to know just the little of what you told me. It makes me feel like my brain just died. I am all for having alternatives to Oscars but this is just...so wrong. I have a novel idea, it might be a little out there I don't know how people will take it, but what if we actually awarded movies on their merits alone? Bold. Very bold! *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree. Naturally. If it's aimed at the stupidity of our generation, I'm pretty much always on board.

    With that in mind, I have to say that last year's MTV movie awards were my guilty pleasure. I don't know if you are a fan of Andy Samburg, but I am. Please please please just watch his opening video for last year, and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Followers