Friday, April 16, 2010

Movie Review: "Date Night"





Mild manner couple Phil and Claire Foster (Steve Carell and Tina Fey) just want a simple night on the town. They want one night where they don't go to same family restaurant in their New Jersey town. Just one date night away from the kids and responsibilities. Of course they are rewarded by getting caught up in a dangerous political scandal where they must drive sports cars in car chases, don sexy disguises, and end the corruption once and for all, all the while rediscovering their love for each other and re-igniting their marriage.

This is where Date Night fails. I would have been happy to watch Tina Fey drink milk and make quippy remarks for two hours. Steve Carell used to be funny too, before he played every character exactly like Michael Scott from The Office. They don't need to put these two in a highly formulaic action movie to get butts in the seats. Also, why did these guys need to have problems in their marriage that could only be resolved by a night of car chases and gun fire? That part is too cliche. Fortunately, the problems they have aren't that big or serious. Their really quite silly actually. So much so, it just reaffirms my belief that they didn't really need that subplot; they feel like they've just become really good room mates instead of lovers.

This belief stems from two friends who are getting a divorce for that very reason. He wants, I dunno, man time. She wants to "do" three dudes at once. It's stupid, but it sets up the insecurities for Phil and Claire's marriage. Phil and Claire, however, really have a great marriage. They love each other. They work well together. They're good parents. They're not selfish. They're kind of the best hollywood marriage I've ever seen. One that show that it's not about the excitement and getting what you want, it's about loving your spouse and catering to what they need. That's why it annoys me so much that they have to discover that they're indeed missing out on something. Sometimes marriage is being really good room mates. I know I haven't been married publically before, but I wanted their marriage. It was sweet and fun and funny. Oh well, I guess if everything was fine to begin with they wouldn't need car chases to rediscover themselves. That's Hollywood.

Where this movie succeeds? Two words; Tina Fey. She's maybe the most likable entertainer in the business at the moment in that: A. She wrote a high school teen drama and made it hilarious and awesome (Mean Girls). B. She actually made SNL worth watching for a small amount of time (Weekend Update). And C. She makes me not only watch, but enjoy watching Tracy Morgan (30 Rock). On top of that she has the most consistently funny sitcom on television (30 Rock is ending its fourth season just as strong or strong than its past seasons). Name one other person capable of any of that. Pretty much everything she says is hilarious in this movie too. She's worth the price of the ticket alone. Steve Carell is pretty good, but i've grown quite bored of him. He, like his famous sitcom, The Office, fails to evolve as a entertainer and therefore is just tired and predictable. He was decent in this film, but I felt like I'd seen it all before. Try something new! Over all, I really enjoyed Date Night because its flaws are very small parts of the film and Tina Fey is a very big part.

B-

12 comments:

  1. Finally, thank goodness! Something with disagree on! Haha!

    I don't understand why you think Steve Carrell was funnier before he played everything character like Michael Scott because he sort of has always played every character like Michael Scott. Get Smart. Evan Almighty. In Dan in Real Life he played that type of character just more somber and depressed. Even his cartoon characters act like he does. It is who he is. Though I agree he should do something new, I think it makes him adorable and I would rather him be doing that than stupid junk like 40 Year Old Virgin.

    As for Tina Fey. Um. No. Not for me, thank you very much!

    I do agree with you about this movie being formulaic, though. You can tell that from the trailers. Trailers are formulaic too! *groan*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Smart and Evan Almight are part of the problem here, not part of the solution. They were also made after The Office and also just have him playing Michael Scott again. Steve Carell is turning more and more into a one trick pony. He was great in Little Miss Sunshine, but alas that was before The Office. Before he realized he could only do one thing. Many comedians are this same way, yet when they branch out and try something different they find that they're quite good at it and I find myself not getting so tired and annoyed at them. He should do this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I reckon Steve Carell could do stuff if he tried, Little Miss Sunshine certianly was his highlight performance (that I've seen). Unfortunately Hollywood tends to like making movies with "funny" actors doing the same thing over and over again because people recognize. In the same way that they use the same script with slightly different characters for half the action movies that come out, (and every other genre of film). Although I am comforted by the fact he has not (yet) become as bad as Adam Sandler with the same-performance thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! I should have known that when you meant "before he played every character like Michael" that you meant Little Miss Sunshine. :P Well, I think it is sort of comes with the territory of comedians. When you find out what makes people laugh, you make people laugh. So yeah, most comedians are the same way. Jim Carry and Jack Black play all their comedic parts the same too. I don't think there is anything wrong with it exactly. If it fits with the character, the context of the movie, and works well with the other characters I say go for it. Comedic actors, if they don't want to be a one trick pony as you say, tend to branch out to more serious/drama related work. However, I have never seen a comedian branch out to do a different style of comedy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. True, although there are some brilliant actors like Robin Williams who is a stand-up comedian. Just proof that they are capable of showing their great acting as well as being funny. Jim Carrey has also been able to find roles in some great films, (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Truman Show), where he really can prove his worth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I agree! That was point, though. They show their worth by doing serious movies, but when they do comedy they are always the same. Robin Williams WAS Robin Williams in everything he did. Even the Genie from Aladdin acted like him. Comedians have one style of comedy and I don't think that is a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I would have been happy to watch Tina Fey drink milk and make quippy remarks for two hours."
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Comedians' have one style of comedy, but 'Comedy Actors' should be able to do heaps of different things. They have the one type of person they are most famous for doing, (and I completely understand that they do that for the basic movies they sign onto), and then they are still usually about to do different things. I think the best result is where they make the transition from comedian to serious actor, and then back to comedy...if that makes sense. If they meld the two right, they might just be able to use a perfect mix! Possibly why a serious actor like Robert Downey Jr. is able to be funny in a variaty of role, (though I don't believe he was ever a comedian).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yeah! Robert Downey Jr. is amazing. I don't think he was a comedic actor either but he is truly funny and can play both sides so well. He's great!

    Anyway, so yes, I agree with you. Comedic actors need to do different things. I understand what you mean by the transition too. Didn't Jim Carry and Robin Williams do that? I don't know if Steve Carrel has it in him, but it would be interesting to see! Because honestly whenever I see him he just looks funny. Did you see him in Dan in Real Life? He was more serious, with a comedic edge, but I can't take his seriousness seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again I fully agree with Tom here. Comedian are often not versatile and as actors that is a bad thing. They are good in one role and then mimic that role in every other comedy ever. If they're really funny, they can be funny while acting. This is hardly ever the case. I think Jim Carrey is a great actor, but I don't like his comedies at all because they're loud and stupid. Same goes for Will Farrel. I don't know what the hell happened to him, but his movies just keep getting worse. Stranger Than Fiction, however, was amazing. I think that Steve Carell has legit acting chops. We've seen those in The Office during Michael's more serious moments, but why must Phil Foster be Michael Scott? Why must he make the same jokes and use the same inflection? Can't he branch out a little? That's all I'm saying. Comedian who only do that one part, even if they do that one part well, are weak actors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I suppose I don't take comedians very seriously or consider them actors unless they do something really cool, i.e. Stranger than Fiction, Lemony Snicket, etc. Seriously, Will Ferrel and Jim Carry shocked me by their performances. "You can act?!?!?!?! Since when???!!!!!" Haha! Steve Carell is my favorite Hollywood comedian because of his style of comedy, which I find adorable. (Yes, adorable.) I don't really expect much from him or other comedians like you seem to do. I think it is because I look down on comedy in general. Hmmm. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I love comedy, but I'm always optimistic about this stuff and I always believe people like Carell will achieve more eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Followers