Friday, April 16, 2010

Movie Review: "Kick Ass"




One of the perks about being a manager at a movie theater is I have to (get to) screen films. See, we get reels of film in that are then combined together to make a print. That print is what you see when you go to the movies. To make sure that each print is ready for audience viewing, one of the managers has to screen it before we ever show it to the public. So, the other night I sat down in a theater all by myself at 11:00 pm and got paid to watch Kick Ass. And that it did. This movie totally describes itself.

Somehow this movie manages to be a pretty awesome super hero origin story all the while satirizing the entire genre. While doing this it creates a super hero story that is completely thrilling, surprising and original. It is better than most super hero movies though (and by most I mean nearly all) because you feel that these characters are in legitimate danger the entire time. One major flaw in the super hero genre is how super these characters really are. I couldn't get into Superman Returns at all because anytime Superman would should up the day was saved. The dude's invincible. Or take X-Men for instance, you know they're not going to kill off Wolverine or Storm because they always want to make sequels, and Halle Berry would be mad pissed if she doesn't get the appropriate screen time or her new "sexy Storm" hair cut. There's no real danger and that completely diffuses the suspense. Even Spider-man or Batman who are the most human and deep in this genre, you know that no matter what they go through, they're going to win in the end. That is not the case in this movie.

Kick Ass takes place in the real world. The Narrator, Dave (Kick Ass) Lizewski, makes many references to famous comic books, movies and actors. This is not Gotham City. This is real life New York. These people have no super powers. They are vulnerable human beings. They have special skills sure, but no powers. When these characters suit up, they are risking their lives. The movie pull no punches about this early on. Kick Ass' first attempt at heroism ends pretty badly for him. Also, along this same line, it is constantly apparent that when these heroes kill a bad guys, they're legitimately ending a life. You get that feeling and it adds to the realism in a very interesting way. This isn't 2012 where billions of people are dying and you don't care as long as John Cusack is safe. No, you don't care about the bad guys necessarily, but you're constantly aware that when they die, they die. Throughout the entire movie, they most often die at the hand of an 11 year old girl.

Chloe Grace Moretz seems to be popping up everywhere. She was Joseph Gordon-Levitts younger sister/therapist confidant in last years (500) Days of Summer. I just found out she's playing the female lead in the new Let the Right One In American remake. I can't think of someone better. She's awesome here. She doesn't give an Oscar winning performance or anything, but for an 11 year old who kills scores of people and curses like a sailor, she does a pretty damn good job. Her father is played by Nicholas Cage who is better here than he has been in years (save for The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call- New Orleans which I haven't seen, but heard he's spectacular in.) Aaron Johnson who play Dave/Kick Ass is someone I had never heard of, but he does a pretty good job. He looks a lot like Tobey McGuire in a mask, though, which I'm sure helped him secure the job. He shows a vunerability with Dave that missed on a lot of these super hero performances. Especially when they're teenagers. It works really well. Christopher Mintz-Plasse is the biggest surprise of all to me though. I never would have thought after watching him in Superbad that he would be able to pull off a real performance with depth and nuance. He does that here. He did it in Role Models too. He's really a quite a good actor. His character works for me too, and it's not at all what I expected from the trailers. It's a very well written and well acted part, but I won't say anything more than that.

What really works in Kick Ass is the action. That's what won me over initially. It is expertly crafted and shot by director Matthew Vaughn. It's exciting, frenetic and fun. This movie is better than any movie called Kick Ass has any right to be. Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

A-

16 comments:

  1. Yeah, one of the best super-hero movies made in a long time, (or ever, seeing as the genre only became substantially popular recently). The only ones that could rise above this one is if it was directed by Christopher Nolan, (Batman still wasn't quite as vulnerable, but the psychology added incredible depth, along with everything else). And it actually did have some of the most awesome action scenes I've *scene* in ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Rad! Excellent and persuasive! Though, I still have a hard time believing a movie titled "Kick Ass" can be that great. However, the trailer didn't look too bad.

    And though I understand you are obviously not a Superhero movie fan, I think you are missing the point of superhero movies entirely. Superheros aren't supposed to be physically vulnerable, the movies aren't supposed to be suspenseful, and none of it is supposed to be realistic. When you watch a superhero movie you want to see some good old-fashioned good vs. evil. You want to see good hot guys in suits battling evil hot guys in suits and you want to see the good guy win. They aren't entirely super, though, because they have character flaws and vices. Usually they have to make ethical choices as they go vigilante on their enemies. But yes, you know they are going to win. And what is wrong with that? It wouldn't be Spiderman/Xmen/Batman if they didn't win. I mean seriously their names are in the title. I think with something titled Spiderman, you are going to get Spiderman all the time. Haha! Besides, I don't want them to die. That would be REALLY lame.

    There is also an American Patriotism that goes with the genre. Superhero comics are part of our history and along with it comes pride, invincibility, and optimism. The idea that good guys always win and evil always meets justice. It is unrealistic idealism, but at the core it is correct because we know eventually that is going to be true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really really enjoyed it last night. I think that Chloe, the little actress, may be my new favorite super hero of all time! I loved her! She really did Kick Ass, hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He doesn't miss the point of Superhero films, he just acknowledges the fact that it's really just as (and in many cases more so) entertaining when we are watching people we can relate to, and when we can see that it is a real situation. That's not to sat there isn't a certain charm in watching someone who can't get killed, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand, and I also understand that Rad isn't a Superhero movie fan, hehe, but I am just saying when you watch a Superhero movie you aren't watching it for "suspense" as if you are wondering if they are going to die and you don't watch them for realism either. So why would those aspects be flaws if they aren't supposed to be there to begin with? That's the genre. That's what you get. You don't have to like it, of course, but it doesn't mean that those are "flaws" as if they fall short in their own genre. If Spiderman/Superman/X-men etc became like the movie Kick Ass, then they would cease to be what they are. That is what I meant when I said he missed the point entirely. Because he is doing a contrast and compare with Kick Ass, rather than just criticizing the Superhero genre, which is something entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, there are the points that Kick-Ass is still more creative, energetic and exciting than many super hero movies out there, (With better direction, writing and acting too) which is what is most likely to make Rad prefer the film. I don't expect most Superhero movies to be like this but they still have to make you care about something, which movies like X-men don't really do. For example, The Dark Knight makes you care about all the things Batman cares about, which is other people. I see what you mean though, obviously it's not so much a fault as something the film makers have to do cleverly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can agree with that! I mean, Kick-Ass very well may be a much better made film, though I do not know if I can believe either of you. ;) Superhero movies *should* make you care about something, like all stories should. I think the top superhero films are Spiderman, Iron Man, and Batman. You or Rad might not agree with Spiderman, but I love that series. They sort of fumbled a little in Spiderman 3, but I think that it is a strong trilogy. I love Xmen too, mostly because of Wolverine, but I will never forgive Brian Singer for dumping the series to go to Superman! Who would do that?! And if he just HAD to go and do Superman why didn't he leave the Xmen franchise in the hands of someone who respects and cares for the characters? The new director had no love for them and seemed to get some sick pleasure in ruining everything. Not that I think Xmen 3 is a completely God-awful movie, but I didn't like the direction of the characters or story.

    Anyway, those are my thoughts. I think on a whole Hollywood needs to get new, talented blood all around and not be so money hungry. You saw Hollywood's reaction to The Dark Knight? They were salivating and now want every movie to be like it. *rolls eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the record Danielle, I am a Super hero movie fan. A big one. I love the new batman's and spidermans (except the third). I also really like iron man and x-men 2. But, as I pointed out in my review, their flaw is that they don't incite the amount of suspense they try to because you know the characters aren't really in danger. I understand that they can't kill them off or you wouldn't have a franchise (which is uber stupid by the way) but Kick-Ass shook things up a bit because the characters aren't invincible in anyway. Tom pretty much said everything else I was going to and you seem to agree with him so i'll leave it there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that is surprising. You never struck me as a superhero movie fan. Still, they don't keep them alive solely because of the franchise (though that is part of it), but because how else would we have more stories? They were comic books before movies, and comic books have dozens of stories. So if they killed off Spiderman or put him in "real" danger (which would imply death), not only would that be non-canon, but non-comic book. Not everyone should die, Rad. And not everyone is as cruel and merciless as JJ Abrams. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They don't have to die, but give them reason to die so that when they don't die we're pleasantly surprised! I think that's probably what is meant by Rad sorta. And they want everything to be like Batman because of the awesomeness. Unfortunately, no one else has the mind of Chris Nolan, so it's a bit useless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blogger should give updates when someone has responded. ;-) I don't think we are going to agree with this dying thing. Haha! Why do we have to be surprised/held in suspense all the time? There is so much more to a story than that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. there certainly is more to a story than suspense, it's just an awesome thing. I don't mind cliched stuff when it's still intense/emotional or something. I reckon that's where ol' Cam got Avatar right. (Although I must say I almost thought it was going to have a sad ending...but only a brief second). But I'm always gonna go crazy for a film that sucessfully surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that a film that surprises is always a delight, mostly. Depending. Which is my point; the main issue is characters and how the characters progress throughout the story. For example, many people disliked M Night. Shyamalan's The Village because it wasn't "suspenseful" enough. However, The Village is a story so much more than just suspense. The suspense wasn't the point. I don't go into a movie wanting to be surprised. I go into a movie wanting to be enthralled, whatever that entails.

    I still haven't seen Avatar. I will soon, though, just to see what the fuss is about and to look at the amazing world they created. The story sounds awful. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story is definately unspectacular, but at least Mr Cameron makes it fun enough.

    Yeah, Characters are generally the most important part. That's where it gets most of the drama or comedy.

    Although, another thing that adds much drama is the uncertainty of whether or not the character will die...

    But yeah, I do see your point. I don't care about the surprise if every other aspect is done well enough. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! Fine. You can have your dying characters. ;P I like my characters to be alive and well, thank you very much.

    By the way, I have heard a quite different review on Kick Ass and now I am going to wait until it comes on DVD, watch it myself, and then send a complaint to Mr. Misseri for inaccurate reviewing. ;)I will file that complaint against you too, Man With Beard. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to it! It shall be interesting to see this view!

    ReplyDelete

Followers