Friday, April 9, 2010

Movie Review: "Diary of a Wimpy Kid"



Ok I know what you're thinking and I just want to preface that by saying that I have an eleven year old sister who I took this to. If you've read my previous posts you know how I feel about awful kids films- Anyone who watches them should be sent to an island with no food or water, forced to survive in an uncanny 'Lord of the Flies' type situation. (I will also accept 'The Most Dangerous Game'). I know it sounds cruel, but our countries intellect is rotting and I've created a graph to clearly show exactly what's responsible for this. WARNING: This may be disturbing.



As you can see, based on the research 'Crappy Kids Films' is by and large the greatest reason for the dumbing down of America's youth. I am a HUGE advocate against this if you haven't already noticed.

This movie, however, doesn't really fall in that category. No, it's not great, but it is surprisingly amusing. It has a sort of go for broke humor that, unlike most Disney Channel Originals, actually works here. Stuff like a Jr. High newspaper with a front page story that reads, "Cheerleader Gains Pound." That's moderately funny stuff. At least for something marketed at kids that wasn't made by Pixar.

There was one scene that was ridiculous however. The Wimpy Kid and his overweight friend are playing outside in the snow, but instead of back in the old days when you would either go someplace that had snow, or cover a set in white stuff so it looked like snow, the makers of this movie saw fit to shoot the whole scene on a green screen and digitally insert the street covered in snow afterwards. Suffice to say, it looks like chont.

There is one reason, mainly, that I am recommending this movie. (Maybe recommending isn't the right word... hmmm... not completely trashing..?) The reason has a one word answer. Like Freddie or Jason or Rocky or Cher this character needs no more than one name. That name; Fregley! I'm not even sure I'm spelling it right, nor do I care. This kid was hilarious. I would watch an entire movie about him. Forget these normal, full of themselves prepubescents! Lets explore Freglie's world with his special freckle and taxadermied cryptid! His nearly scary friendliness and that amazing unicorn costume. He, for me, single handedly saved this movie from mediocrity.

"I can hear you breathing Greg Heffley."

C

Soupy Twist.

P.S. If you guys can't see the graph clearly click on it. It should take you to a window where you can read it better.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! Love your graph! "Children literally rotting" and "Sexting" :-D Good review, but it doesn't make me want to go see the film. I too hate "children's movies" with a white hot passion of a thousand burning suns. Of course in some of them there can be a truly funny aspect, but normally they dumb down the minds of the youth, as you have pointed out, and subliminal world views of how children should behave are put in there as well. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got paid to watch this film and I must say it was not as bad as it could have been. I thought the red headed freckle boy was creepy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post. The pie chart mostly. Well... other stuff, too. But the pie chart was a hilarious addition that I DID NOT see coming. We sold the Whimpy Kid books at the toy store and I'm seriously thinking about going and buying them today. They always looked so cool.
    So, while I am not way interested in seeing the film, I am interested in the story.
    I'll let you know if I buy the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pie chart was hilarious! I was cracking up at "No Child Left Behind" and "Elementary School Sexting". However a large portion of the chart could also have been contributed to "Self Absorbed Scottsdale Moms".

    I've never read any of the Wimpy Kids books but they're quite popular with my kids, so I should probably check them out.

    I completely agree with you about the kids movies. Why set high expectations for our kids when we can spoon feed them ridiculous, formulaic crap? It's so much easier to produce the latter...

    ReplyDelete

Followers